Many marketers upload videos to YouTube. But they really don't know how to take full advantage of the platform.
First, let's reiterate that video is content, and content should be leveraged and syndicated. What can help with that is the SONAR tactic with backlinks, SEO, traffic generation, lead generation and monetization, and buzz.
The best video sharing sites to upload your videos to are YouTube, Google Video, MetaCafe, Blip.tv and DailyMotion. These sites are extremely popular and get the most traffic. Don't forget you can also syndicate your videos through RSS (if you have RSS on your website).
Some tips on optimizing video for SEO:
• Clips should be less than five minutes (ideally one to three minutes), relevant, benefit-oriented and interesting to the users. Three things were going on when you gothe videos could also be teaser snippets that link to fuller-length videos on your website.
• Make sure your videos have powerful, eye-catching titles. This is where good copywriting skills come in. Think "headline" or "banner ad"—something that a user will only see for a few seconds, then decide to click.
• Make sure the title and description are chock full of your top keywords—keywords that are in the video and that your target audience will search for.
• Make sure your video is tagged (meta data) properly with your keywords to get picked up by search engines.
• Make sure your video has your company logo or URL for branding.
• If the video is on your website, encourage other users to "republish" by providing the proper code. This will help with viral marketing.
• Cross-market the videos in your e-newsletter, website and through social media accounts (Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.) to drive traffic and create buzz.
Done right, marketing via video is a cost-effective, efficient and powerful way to get prospects and profits. Best of all, the viral factor can be off the charts.
Wendy Montes de Oca is president of West Palm Beach, Fla.-based online marketing services consultancy Precision Marketing and Media. She has nearly 20 years of experience working for top publishers and Fortune 500 companies, and can be reached at email@example.com.
Often referred to as the "marketing maven" by industry peers, Wendy Montes de Oca, MBA has nearly 20 years of experience in marketing, media, and publishing with expertise in multichannel, direct response, and Web marketing. Wendy has generated more than $150 million in total revenues for Fortune 500 companies, top publishers, consulting clients, and her own firm, Precision Marketing and Media, LLC. She is the creator of the groundbreaking SONAR Content Distribution Model and author of the best-selling book Content Is Cash: Leveraging Great Content and the Web for Increased Traffic, Sales, Leads and Buzz [Que Publishing, Paperback].