The 7 Most Effective Lead Generation Tactics
When it comes to lead generation, many marketers aren't sure which tactics they should use to provide their company with qualified leads. In fact, many marketers aren't even sure which marketing tactics should be used as lead generation tactics.
There are seven marketing tactics — I call them the "Magnificent 7" — that are the best tactics for providing companies with large numbers of leads and a significant return on marketing investment.
Online Lead Generation Tactics
First, there are the online lead generation advertising tactics:
- Search engine marketing involves setting up ad campaigns on Google and Bing. When a consumer searches for certain search terms (e.g., "golf shoes") that you've bid for, your ad will appear at the top of their search results.
- With social media advertising, banner ads are used to target visitors on social media sites (e.g., a "honeymoon cruise" ad will appear on the Facebook pages of users whose status is "Engaged"). Twitter now offers social advertising through Promoted Tweets.
- You can use display ads on external websites to generate leads. Also, marketers are now seeing high response rates with interactive mobile ads on consumers’ mobile devices.
- Email marketing is another effective online lead generation tactic. Many marketers are reluctant to try email marketing because they're afraid their emails will be mistaken for spam. If you use targeted, permission-based mailing lists and follow the 2003 CAN-SPAM Act guidelines, you can help to ensure that your emails reach their intended targets.
"Tried-and-True" Offline Tactics
These "old school" tactics still bring in thousands of leads for companies that use them:
- Direct mail is a great vehicle for explaining the benefits of a complex product or service in detail. It's an expensive channel, however, so consider using it only if you're selling a product or products that give you a high ROMI (e.g., cars), or if your customer has long-term lifetime value (e.g., insurance).
- Cold calling works best today if you're selling B-to-B products or services. Use a targeted list of prospects who might have a need for your products or services.
- Finally, trade shows are a great way to collect leads because they bring you face-to-face with consumers who may be looking to buy your products or services.
Which Tactics Should You Use?
Which of these tactics should you be using? As many as will work successfully for your business — i.e., those that provide a positive ROMI. Ideally, you should test all seven lead generation tactics, using the tactics that work best and are most cost effective for your business.
David T. Scott is an author, and his latest book is "The New Rules of Lead Generation: Proven Strategies to Maximize Marketing ROI."
Related story: 5 Steps for SMBs to Rise to the Top of Google