Select Tips From the ‘2015 E-Commerce Dates to Live By’
It's already March 27, so some e-commerce marketers may already be behind on one of the "2015 E-Commerce Dates to Live By" items. On March 20, the first day of spring when parts of the country are still covered in snow, ChannelAdvisor asks "Is your inventory ready?"
A lot of the calendar provided by the Morrisville, N.C.-based SaaS e-commerce solutions provider is promotional, so this article will pull out some of the tips, dates and checklists items that aren't related to ChannelAdvisor products and services. This article covers April and May, while ChannelAdvisor's calendar includes tips for the entire year.
Before launching into those tips, though, a fun date is coming up—April Fools' Day. In 2010, Target Marketing recounts a few marketing campaigns that prank customers:
- AccuData's fake rental file of vampires titled "Born Into Darkness," which the company promoted via email to list brokers and marketers;
- Starbucks' "micra" and "plenta" drink sizes; and
- E-tailer ThinkGeek's "Tell Me Your Secrets Bear" for children.
ChannelAdvisor says these are a few important dates for e-commerce marketers to remember through the end of May:
- April 5: Easter Sunday—launch Easter campaign photos and postings on social media
- April 8: Browse the e-commerce site via mobile devices to ensure layout and navigation are optimized for mobile
- April 10: Consider postings on visually oriented social media sites, including Pinterest, Wanelo, Houzz and Polyvore
- April 13: Ready Mother's Day keywords for search campaigns
- April 15: Consider bidding up Mother's Day-related keywords to increase visibility
- April 21: Prepare social media marketing campaigns for Mother's Day
- April 22: Earth Day and Administrative Professionals Day
- April 29: Remember "campaign structure is key" in terms of hierarchy in Google Product Listing Ads, so move from brand to category type
- May 1: Summer is on its way, so start promoting outdoor furniture, grills, bathing suits, sunglasses, etc.
- May 4: It's not even Mother's Day yet, but yes, get the keywords ready for Memorial Day promotions
- May 5: Cinco de Mayo
- May 10: It's Mother's Day, so add photos and posts to social media
- May 13: Prepare digital campaigns, graphics and copy for Memorial Day
- May 15: Review prices, promotions and product features to make sure they're accurate in digital ads
- May 18: Get keywords ready for Father's Day search marketing campaigns
- May 20: Consider bidding up on the June 21 holiday's related keywords on comparison-shopping search engines
- May 25: Memorial Day—launch photos and postings on social
- May 28: Prepare Father's Day social media campaigns
What other e-commerce marketing milestones are coming up?