For better or worse, you're surrounded by screens. Whether watching television, checking email on your laptop or getting your social media fix on your smartphone: Everyday life is going increasingly digital. The trend shows no sign of slowing, either. Apple's just-announced Apple Watch will soon mount yet another screen on the wrists of millions of eager early adoptees.
A new infographic from Millward Brown surveys just how common multi-screen usage is in society, and provides a host of insights on how to best use screen transference for marketers.
While most people—65 percent—are still only using one screen at a time, they are actually merely shifting back and forth between multiple devices. The most common transfer is television-to-smartphone (37 percent), followed by television-to-laptop (25 percent) with smartphone-to-laptop transference (19 percent) bringing up the rear.
The infographic denotes that concurrent use fills up the remaining 35 percent of total screen usage. Of that 35 percent, 62 percent of simultaneous users are only killing time during ad breaks on the other screen. The other 38 percent are finding out more about content related to their primary devices, including searches and follow-up on ads.
As much as society is moving towards the digital age, the survey shows that the most well-received form of advertisement in multi-screen users is still the traditional television commercial. Ads on smartphones and tablets are the least welcomed, with only 23 to 24 percent of responders indicating interest.
With more screens than ever fighting for attention, there are a couple good things to keep in mind when advertising across a wide variety of devices:
- Consistency Is Key: Maintain a unified voice, no matter what kind of screen consumers are engaging you from. The last thing people want to see when they look for more information on a different device is a fragmented, inconsistent mess.
- Short and Sweet: With plenty of other options for entertainment at hand, create easy-to-digest content that prioritizes entertainment, yet also informs. Consumers will be less likely to switch to something more interesting if they're already enjoying your message.