Marketers Focusing on Search, Not Conversion
While converting visitors may be most marketers’ primary website challenge, the majority of them are focusing their budgets on search and search engine optimization, according to a recent survey of nearly 300 senior-level marketers by conversion management solutions provider Maxymiser.
The study also found that while marketers demonstrated a clear understanding of the value of both website testing and personalization, neither are being properly leveraged to convert web traffic.
Findings from the survey include the following:
- converting visitors was the primary website challenge cited by respondents (42 percent), followed by driving traffic (26 percent);
- 51 percent of respondents said they're focusing their digital marketing budgets on search;
- 79 percent of respondents agree/strongly agree that content testing is critical for objective website design and content decisions;
- 27 percent of respondents make changes to their websites based on testing results, while the majority of marketers (59 percent) rely on website analytics data to drive changes;
- 13 percent of respondents said they test their web content daily, while 37 percent never test or test only after website redesigns;
- 69 percent of respondents cited website personalization as a way to enhance customer engagement, but 47 percent also noted that budget constraints will be the key barrier to implementation;
- 17 percent of respondents use multivariate testing, while 21 percent use no testing tools/resources; and
- 68 percent of respondents agree/strongly agree that iterative changes to their websites increase engagement and/or conversion.