E-commerce Link: The Power of the Inbox
6 Tips for Newsletter Publishers
If you agree you should use e-newsletters to engage customers, then congratulations, you understand the importance of content! You've identified your industry niche and are providing content to entice your readers. Here are some tips to optimize your e-newsletter:
• Use a snippet at the top of your emails to highlight additional topics not covered in the subject line.
• If you have a table of contents, use anchor links so readers can easily click to the article of interest.
• Check your width. With so many people reading emails on a mobile device, you want your content to be accessible. Keep your width as close as 500 pixels as possible.
• If you use columns, make sure the important information is in the larger left-hand column. Some mobile devices will only show the upper right-hand part of the screen.
• More than 40 percent of emails are read on a mobile device; therefore, you need to rethink font sizes. Headlines should be a font size of 22 and body copy should have a minimum font size of 13 to ensure certain browsers will not resize your copy. Any call-to-action buttons should be 29 x 44 pixels with 10-pixel padding.
• Sharing is important! Friends and colleagues are influencers. With newsletters, it is likely that you want to include sharing icons after each article to maximize exposure.
2 Effective E-newsletters
The first example is from StrongMail, an email infrastructure provider.
• The company uses anchor links for its "In This Issue" table of contents so recipients can click immediately to items of interest.
• The e-newsletter has two columns, but all the important information appears on the left. This means all the main content is more likely to display on mobile.
• The company also is using the power of viral marketing. The share button under the main article allows readers to spread information via email, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Google+.