Get More Mileage From Outside Lists
• Include your broker(s). Work together to create a testing plan for each list, including when to mail it, how many times you’ll test it and what your performance targets are.
• Establish a segmentation plan. This can include: better RFM, product and gender selections; demographic enhancements; custom selects from the list owner and manager; ZIP modeling; cooperative database modeling; and custom modeling. Work with your broker to negotiate pricing that will help ensure the list’s success.
Be patient. It may take several tries before you get to the selection method that works best for your business. The payoff can be very large. If you can get just 50,000 names to work on each of five lists, you’ve unearthed a total of 250,000 new names. If you can mail these segments four times a year, you’ll have a total of 1 million new prospect names to mail each year.
2. Establish the same type of plan for other list areas. These include out-of-category lists, compiled lists and smaller files. This can be a big growth area for your business. If you can identify 10 files of 25,000 names each, this can add another quarter of a million names to your circulation.
3. Get more performance from cooperative databases. To do this:
• Make sure your account representative is fully knowledgeable on all of the database’s products and services.
• Be an active client. The more involved you are in the selection process, the better the models will perform.
• Include your broker. Often he or she will have insights that can enhance performance.
While following a strategic approach, don’t forget the basics that have served mailers so well over the years. These include:
1. Getting optimal performance out of your best lists by mailing deeper; mailing hotline names in-season; and doing selective in-season remails of your best lists.