5 Email Subscriber Acquisition Tactics
4. Create a mobile-friendly email sign-up page.
- If you have or are planning to have a mobile site or app, make sure that one of the pages is an email sign-up page.
- More and more people are browsing online via their mobile device; this is a big opportunity to capture their information at the point of interest.
- Send an immediate, mobile-friendly welcome email with an offer to encourage even more engagement and interaction.
5. Integrate online and social media into email.
- There are vendors and rich media providers that can design online media ads to collect email addresses directly in the ad. This works well for coupon offers or contests. Red Door Interactive recently ran a campaign that resulted in 48 percent of consumers opting in for future messaging when they entered their email address to download coupons.
- Cross-promote your email program in social media status updates and link to your sign-up page. Also, include an email sign-up tab or widget on your Facebook page.
After the acquisition
Whatever acquisition tactics you use, track the source and send a welcome email immediately upon sign up. Design this welcome email in HTML (as opposed to a simple text confirmation) to highlight your brand and value propositions. If you have the resources, customize different versions of your welcome email to coincide with where and how the subscriber opted in. This will most likely be your highest open rate email ever; it engages your subscriber from the beginning.
Check out the April 8 edition of All About eMail, where I will discuss ways to increase subscriber acquisition offline.
Pilar Bower is the senior email marketing strategist at Red Door Interactive, an internet marketing agency. Pilar can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.