Email Campaign Archive Report: January 2011 Email Promotions Up 25% Over 2010
In past years, January had been the month with the lowest number of email promotions logged into the Email Campaign Archive, a database of more than 400,000 archived email promotions powered by the Who's Mailing What! Archive, a Target Marketing Group (TMG) product. (All About eMail is published by TMG.)
But that changed in 2011. January 2011 saw 16,273 emails sent compared to 12,970 in January 2010, an increase of 25.5 percent. It appears email marketers have decided January isn’t a month to shy away from.
Other items of note regarding January email promotions archived include the following:
1. Word count was stable. Average word count in January 2011 was 380 versus 399 last year. This compares to 356 in December, 360 in November and 428 in October.
2. Thursday was the most popular day for sending email. The highest volume of emails were sent on Thursday in January (17.8 percent of the total), followed by Wednesday (17.0 percent), Friday (15.3 percent), Monday (14.8 percent), Tuesday (14.4 percent), Sunday (5.6 percent) and Saturday (5.5 percent).
3. Morning is the most popular time for email delivery. Most emails in January were sent between 8 a.m. to noon EST (39.3 percent of all emails sent), followed by 4 a.m. to 8 a.m. EST (34.7 percent ). The highest volume one-hour time window was from 10 a.m. to 10:59 a.m. EST (10.3 percent), followed by 11 a.m. to 11:59 a.m. (9.0 percent), 9 a.m. to 9:59 a.m. (8.3 percent) and 8 a.m. to 8:59 a.m. (7.1 percent). Noon to 1 p.m. EST had a 9 percent volume, with continuing drop-off hour by hour for the rest of the day.
4. The most repeated subject lines in January were:
- 30% Off Back Issues Plus Free Shipping on Binders!
- FREE Pedometer! FREE Tote! FREE DVD!
- Banish "bra fat" with one easy move!
- Save 25% when you shop the online catalog
- Welcome To Spiegel! Take An Extra 30% OFF!
- You are Entitled to a FREE trial of Runner's World Magazine
- Is Your Blood Sugar Making You Fat?
- Wrong Information About Your Heart
Gary Hennerberg is a consultant and copywriter who analyzes email data from the Email Campaign Archive. Gary also contributed two chapters to the recently published All About Email Creative. Gary can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reinventing Direct is for the direct marketer seeking guidance in the evolving world of online marketing. Gary Hennerberg is a mind code marketing strategist, based on the template from his new book, "Crack the Customer Mind Code." He is recognized as a leading direct marketing consultant and copywriter. He weaves in how to identify a unique selling proposition to position, or reposition, products and services using online and offline marketing approaches, and copywriting sales techniques. He is sought-after for his integration of direct mail, catalogs, email marketing, websites, content marketing, search marketing, retargeting and more. His identification of USPs and copywriting for clients has resulted in sales increases of 15 percent, 35 percent, and even as high as 60 percent. Today he integrates both online and offline media strategies, and proven copywriting techniques, to get clients results. Email him or follow Gary on LinkedIn. Co-authoring this blog is Perry Alexander of ACM Initiatives. Follow Perry on LinkedIn.