Message & Media: Meet Your Marketing Allies
• Format: Is the format pre- determined? If so, tell us what it is and why we're using it. If you want format recommendations, let us know. This applies to both traditional and digital media.
• Customer reviews: As much as we need information from you, it also helps us to know what customers are saying about you. In their own words, please. It's not unusual to find a control-beating subject line, headline or outer envelope teaser buried in a customer comment.
• Test results and response rates: It's useful to know what you've tested in the past—what worked and what didn't. While you may prefer not to disclose response rates, we need to know if we're trying to beat a control generating 1.5 percent or 15 percent response. And please let us know by how much we need to beat the control to be a winner.
• Beyond response rates: Don't assume we don't care about numbers beyond response rates. We understand the value of increasing your back-end closure rate, order size, lives per app and little details like lifetime value across all channels.
• Production/technology matters: Many of us like to talk with vendors and production resources so we understand their capabilities and use them cost- effectively. Today's direct response writers and designers embrace change and jump at appropriate opportunities to test new technology such as QR Codes.
As you can see, direct response writers do more than string together words punctuated with the word FREE. And direct response designers do more than just put a pretty face on a ho-hum offer. We are your marketing allies—both strategists and tacticians.