Best Practices for Point-of-Sale Email Address Collection
Confidently collect email addresses at POS: Use text to join
Your email service provider should be able to implement a text-to-join acquisition program for you that executes quickly and can be built specifically to mitigate the risks around POS data collection. Here's how it can work, again using the receipt scenario above:
- Instead of relying on sales associates to accurately input email addresses, your customers can use SMS to text their email addresses to your short code.
- Customers receive an immediate SMS reply message letting them know to check their email for their receipt.
- A mobile-optimized receipt is immediately emailed to the address.
- This can be followed by an email inviting customers to join your company's email program. Offering a purchase discount can increase opt-ins. New joiners can be sent an age verification email, if relevant.
- Your welcome email, including discount coupon, is sent and the relationship starts off on the right foot.
In addition to increasing your confidence about POS email address collection, a text-to-join program can increase your acquisition rates. It can engage those customers who prefer to provide their information privately via their mobile devices. It can help protect companies against potential blacklisting because of typos and confirmed opt-ins. It can even reduce overhead costs by saving sales associates valuable time. Understanding these important email address collection issues and adopting the prescribed best practices are critical to ensuring customers have a safe, positive and valuable experience with your company at the point of sale and beyond.
Susan Tull is the vice president of marketing for BlueHornet Networks.