6 Best Practices in Mobile Marketing
With mobile phone penetration at 90 percent in the U.S., according to CTIA, and about half of this wireless phone-carrying audience actively using SMS messaging, mobile marketing is on the cusp of rapid adoption.
To help marketers get a handle on this emerging medium, Lyris CMO Blaine Mathieu shared last month some best practices and examples in a Target Marketing webinar, Using Mobile for E-mail Campaigns: A Primer.
Some considerations for mobile marketing success include:
- Make offers simple and straightforward to redeem, given the immediate nature and display parameters of phone screens.
- Manage frequency carefully; mobile is a personal device, so be aware of audience threshold/tolerance.
- Drive use by simplifying the experience and continuing to migrate subscribers to messaging bundles.
- Track your efforts and optimize over time, measuring:
• number of messages delivered to the gateway;
• number of messages delivered to handsets;
• number of offers redeemed; and
• overall response by keyword or common short code to track how promotional media worked.
- Integrate mobile promotions into all other channels, including direct mail, e-mail, Web, social media, broadcast, etc.