Virtual reality and 3D environments offer marketers a new world of ways to engage, connect with and delight customers. Imagine creating virtual environments that not only lets people virtually explore places, products and services, but also use social media to share that 3D world with others. What could your 3D world look like? Here are just a few possibilities:
1. Virtual Tours: There’s a real opportunity here to make video tours truly immersive experiences. The obvious applications are in real estate, tourism, hospitality and higher education. However, virtual tours can be used by any company in any industry with a story to tell.
2. Product Demos: As in our automobile application, 3D experiences can put visitors either inside or outside a virtual sphere. That presents exciting opportunities for demonstrating how products work or visualizing their benefits.
3. Sales Presentations: More and more, sales forces are relying on tablets and other mobile devices for customer presentations in the field. Leveraging the full capabilities of these devices and 3D technology will help sales present complex data sets in completely new ways.
4. Training: There are virtually thousands of training applications that could benefit from virtual visualization. Think about using the immersive environment for teaching soft skills like teamwork and collaboration, or providing visual instructions for product merchandising.
5. Gamification: 3D environments make promotional games or game-based training so realistic that audiences can step inside the game and feel like they are really there.
M.J. Anderson is CMO at multichannel marketing firm, Trekk, Inc. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.