3 Often Untapped Direct Mail Format Advantages
One of my favorite examples is a 6” x 9” OE from Discover. It has a soft, velvety coating (front and back) on one half and a roughly varnished texture on the other. As you hold the piece in your hands, your right and left fingertips are simultaneously engaged in touching two very different textures. This smooth-rough contrast grabs your attention.
I don’t know if it was coincidence or a flash of creative brilliance, but the most compelling copy details are on the texturally more disturbing varnished half: $100, $100 BONUS, NO MONTHLY FEE, 0.95% APY.
What are you doing to assure your direct mail piece earns its share of those critical 8.4 minutes spent sorting and reading mail? I encourage you to brainstorm creative ideas that tap into direct mail’s advantages. Use these free USPS resources to get started:
- Visit IrresistibleMail.com to get a free guide with creative ideas for modernizing your direct mail.
- Talk to a USPS Direct Mail Analyst at ribbs.usps.gov. Go to MDA Customer Service Help Desk.
- Email my resource for this column: Jim Richard, USPS Senior Direct Marketing Executive, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Studies mentioned in this article:
- USPS OIG RARC report, “Enhancing the Value of Mail: The Human Response,” 2015.
- “USPS Customer and Market Insights,” conducted by Summit Research, March 2016.