Tips for Optimizing SEM Efforts, Part 2
1. Message to shoppers all along the path to purchase. Retargeting gives you the ability to tailor messaging according to shoppers’ previous level of engagement. Here are some potential retargeting campaigns to test:
- Introduce your brand to new shoppers by placing ads that are triggered by particular keyword search terms. Plan campaigns at the keyword level, track them closely and update as needed to ensure delivery to the target audience.
- Lure back shoppers who perused a specific section of your site but didn't add any products to their shopping cart.
- Recapture cart abandoners. Beyond displaying the product they left behind, consider also showing them an array of other items shoppers who viewed the same product ended up buying.
- Boost trust for partial checkout completers. Consider a branding campaign that puts an emphasis on customer service as well as price and product guarantees. Prominently feature customer service contact information.
- Re-engage past purchasers by featuring complementary items or alerting them to new arrivals.
2. Respect shoppers’ privacy concerns. Even though retargeting offers more relevant messaging, it also poses a challenge: how to overcome consumers’ privacy concerns about the technology. Most consumers don't like targeted advertising (e.g., retargeting display ads) because they don't want their online behavior tracked. To negotiate the fine line between relevance versus invasiveness, incorporate trust-building measures into your retargeting campaigns. Here's how:
- Set limits on campaign delivery. Use advertising administration tools such as frequency capping, duration limits and stop triggers. Be sure to exclude customers that don't fit the intended profile.
The overwhelming challenge of successfully navigating the search marketing industry can seem daunting, but by maintaining your focus — from seeking out the right connections to boost SEO relevance to choosing precise messaging for segmented audiences — search optimization is well within your reach.