During the last few months, we've had the chance to sit down with some of the sharpest minds in B-to-B marketing to pick their brains about industry challenges, trends and best practices. As we approach 2015, our team thought it would be beneficial to share some of the most memorable words of wisdom garnered from these interviews. We certainly took a lot away from them—and hope you do, as well. So check out the tips below and consider adding some of these pointers to your list of New Year's resolutions.
1. Develop a Strategy
- Ask yourself, "What are we working towards? What are the sales revenue goals of the organization, and what are the marketing inputs that need to lead towards that? So, it's really a strong understanding of the metrics behind success." —Matt Heinz, President, Heinz Marketing
- "For your particular audience and that particular piece of content, tell me why you're doing it. Tell me the business objectives behind each one of those … Who is the audience we're targeting? What are we going to send them? What is the outcome or behavior we want to see?" —Joe Pulizzi, Founder, Content Marketing Institute
2. Leverage Technology to Execute that Strategy—But Don't Lose Sight of the People
- "It's not [just about] the technology. It's the new kinds of processes, thinking and management approaches that were enabled by these technologies … [It's a] combination of good technology and good players working in tandem. And the concept of being able to leverage the strengths of humans and machines, each in a much more scalable way." —Scott Brinker, Author, Chief MarTec
- "Focus on the role that technology plays, but the technology is worthless without the people behind it. It's cliché, but true." —Ann Handley, Head of Content, MarketingProfs and AnnHandley.com
3. Mind Your Data to Fuel the Technology Efficiently