Denny’s Zinger: The Killing Off of Clunky Old Direct Mail
Many years ago I attended my first DMA (Direct Mail Association) Conference and Exposition.
Soon after, I started going to DMMA (Direct Mail Marketing Association) Conferences.
Eventually the organization reverted back to the DMA (Direct Marketing Association).
Direct Mail Is Glorious
- Direct mail is more fun than monotonous all-text listings in your email in-box. Example:
- With direct mail you can secretly test small, roll out big and cream your competitors before they know what hit them.
- Direct mail is disciplined and absolutely accountable.
- The greatest response marketing experience is walking into the mail room day after day and seeing bags and bags and bags of orders from the USPS!
Researching Direct Mail 2014-2015
I Googled “Ad Spend” to see how direct mail was doing these days.
Look what turned up:
Takeaways to Consider:
- With no coverage of direct mail in media, direct marketers will believe “Direct Mail Is Dead.”
- Ergo these billions in Ad Spend direct mail should morph over to digital media.
- For the Record:
- Based on the huge numbers above, clunky old direct mail must be working like gangbusters for a lot of marketers.
- This is not always the case with digital media.
- Advice from a geezer: Direct mail is expensive, highly disciplined and complicated.
- But it works and might be worth testing.
- Hire professionals to do it.
- For a vast treasury of information about direct mail — and whose mail is successful — check out WHO’S MAILING WHAT!
Denny Hatch is marketing consultant, copywriter and designer. The author of four novels and 7 business books, his newest is “Write Everything Right!”
CLICK HERE to read the first 3 Chapters FREE.
For Kindle Edition information, CLICK HERE.
Denny can be reached at:
email@example.com • www.dennyhatch.com