DRTV : DR Online Video
5 strategies to build lists, generate leads, and convert sales or contributionsAugust 2013 By Gary Hennerberg
Online video marketing is being used widely and effectively as a direct marketing medium to generate leads, build mailing lists and convert prospects and past buyers into new sales or contributions.
As a central delivery vehicle for your message, online video can leverage email marketing, social media, as well as direct mail and other marketing distribution channels. When your videos resonate with your audience, you have implicitly earned permission to reach out more frequently with even more free content.
Just as direct mail comes in different formats, video can be deployed through a number of approaches, or formats, as well. Here are five video strategies that work, with any one of these being applicable to most direct marketing organizations:
1. Opt-in Lead Generation: This video approach enables you to distribute free, open content to build a story, credibility and trust over time. It's classic lead generation: You give enough information to generate interest for someone to opt in to your mailing list, call you or take other action.
2. Personal Marketing: For company owners, and people in personal development or self-help, videos of the individual on camera can be a tipping point to generate response. Seeing and hearing the individual allows an authentic voice to be communicated, which can instantly build trust and the confidence from the prospect to take action.
3. Fundraising: Video is an outstanding vehicle to use for fundraising. When your prospective donor can hear from people inside the organization or, even better, from the people served by the organization, you can build an emotional appeal that tugs at the heartstrings.
4. Product Demonstration: If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth 10,000 words. Showing how a product works, pointing out all its features and associated benefits, can bring it to life on video. Studies have shown that 57 percent of online shoppers are more confident when they watch a video before making an online purchase.
5. Video Advertising: Using direct response broadcast techniques, you can create short pre-roll, mid-roll or post-roll advertisements that are included with the long-form videos of others on YouTube, BrightRoll or other video hosting platforms. It's a way to use direct response techniques to generate clicks that lead to a landing page, or calls via inbound phone.