Share, Share Everywhere: Tapping the Social Activity of Email Subscribers
In addition, time of day during the week was tested to see if there's a correlation to opening email on a PC versus a mobile device. Sharing can happen from each, but often occurs more frequently on mobile devices.
There are a few factors to consider when analyzing social activity:
- Cadence: Be aware that the footprint of each message grows as it’s shared. You may need to adjust the pace of certain messages to adapt to this longer tail.
- Influence: Reach alone isn't the key metric; impact and conversion are what truly matter. Track which social media channels provide the most conversions.
- Influencers: Data collection and management allows you to identify your biggest brand advocates. Leverage their enthusiasm even more through special offers, enhanced communication and other promotions that recognize their status.
- Segmentation: Slicing social media data by channel, time, topic, etc., can help you identify patterns that make it easier to target future email messages.
- Privacy: Brands that overstep, spam or fail to disclose their intentions risk subscriber backlash. Cross the line and you’ll be contending with negative social media sharing.
Word-of-mouth today doesn’t just happen one-to-one in-person; it happens inbox-to-inbox and across a wide range of social media platforms. Learn to harness the power of this social media sharing and you’ll improve the reach and effectiveness of your email marketing campaigns.
What are your biggest challenges when it comes to tracking and encouraging social sharing via email? Share your experiences in the comments section below.