Reinventing Direct Marketers
Staying relevant requires reinventing your skills and marketing approaches. Just over a decade ago, many direct marketers moved beyond direct mail and reinvented their approach by creating basic websites, using email marketing and more. But now a decade later, reinventing direct marketing core competencies requires understanding and using even more tools.
As we have evolved and reinvented our traditional direct marketing skills over the years, the editors of Target Marketing have invited us to evolve from our online video marketing blog to broader topics.
Today we launch Reinventing Direct, a new blog where we share what we're learning about new direct marketing approaches in practical, easy-to-understand recommendations all geared toward direct marketers, so you can reinvent yourself and become a catalyst for change in your organization.
(If the video isn't just above this line, click here to view it.)
We've chosen online competitive analysis as our first blog topic. Why? Because every thoughtful new business plan and marketing plan includes an analysis of the competition. In addition, at least once every year you should investigate what your competitors are doing online. It will make you sharper and more competitive.
Today you'll learn about 10 tools you can use to compare how you stack up with your digital direct marketing efforts compared to your competitors. The tools we share in today's video will give you data points on several areas of online marketing including:
- Where to get a grade for your website's overall effectiveness
- Where you stand with SEO
- Inbound link comparisons (with domain authority)
- How your website performs on mobile devices
- Traffic to your website compared to competitors
- Engagement and reputation metrics
- Demographic data comparisons of the age, presence of children, income, education and ethnicity of those going to your site versus your competitors
- Social media comparisons
- How your site ranks for keywords compared to competitors
- Competitor's daily pay-per-click budgets, average paid position, and the estimated value of daily organic traffic
- How to know when your competitor has new information posted on the Web
- The source where you can go back in time to check what was on a competitor's website in the past
There are many online analysis tools available, and we encourage you to search for them and check them out. We also invite you to share your recommendations of other services that you have successfully used. Please post your recommendations in the comments section below.
Reinventing Direct is for the direct marketer seeking guidance in the evolving world of online marketing. Gary Hennerberg is a mind code marketing strategist, based on the template from his new book, "Crack the Customer Mind Code." He is recognized as a leading direct marketing consultant and copywriter. He weaves in how to identify a unique selling proposition to position, or reposition, products and services using online and offline marketing approaches, and copywriting sales techniques. He is sought-after for his integration of direct mail, catalogs, email marketing, websites, content marketing, search marketing, retargeting and more. His identification of USPs and copywriting for clients has resulted in sales increases of 15 percent, 35 percent, and even as high as 60 percent. Today he integrates both online and offline media strategies, and proven copywriting techniques, to get clients results. Email him or follow Gary on LinkedIn. Co-authoring this blog is Perry Alexander of ACM Initiatives. Follow Perry on LinkedIn.