How to Make a Billion: The Costs of 'Undeliverable as Addressed'
It's called the Environmental Planner & Optional Policy Generator, and it's based in part on the DMA's "Green 15" Environmental Principles. But the green focus is dual in nature. Avoiding mail waste through proper data management also applies green—as in money—back to the bottom line! Consider these suggested activities from this planner to get back some of this billion-plus that are lost to UAA:
I. LIST HYGIENE AND DATA MANAGEMENT
Our company continually endeavors to manage data and lists in an environmentally responsible manner with a focus on reducing the amount of duplicate, unwanted and undeliverable mail [to both consumers and businesses]. To achieve our goals in this area [If applicable to the goals and/or nature of your organization, please select one or more of the following options.]:
A. We Maintain Suppression Lists
- We maintain in-house do-not-market lists for prospects and customers who do not wish to receive future solicitations from us (as required by DMA's Commitment to Consumer Choice).
- We maintain a more detailed suppression file that enables customers and prospects to opt off our organization's marketing lists on a selective basis, such as by frequency or by category.
B. We Offer Notice & Choice
- We provide existing and prospective customers with notice of an opportunity to modify or eliminate future marketing contacts from our organization in every commercial solicitation (as required by DMA's Commitment to Consumer Choice).
- We provide periodic notices and opportunities for prospects to opt in or opt out of receiving future marketing contacts from our organization.
- We provide customers incentives (such as the offer of a discount on their next purchase) for notifying us of duplicate mailings and incorrect addresses.
- We offer customers a choice to receive communications from our organization electronically.
C. We Clean Our Lists Prior to Mailing