Email Marketing to Acquire High Quality Facebook Fans
How much are Facebook fans worth? The answer depends on the quality of the relationship between fan and brand. There is a low entry threshold to become a fan—all it takes is a click or two. When Facebook is the only connection, financial support is unlikely. The best and most valuable Facebook fans are the ones who actively support your business or organization across channels. They are the ones that will respond to promotions and share real experiences with their friends.
Encouraging people who subscribe to your emails to join your social networks is a best practice because it significantly improves the quality of your fan base. The process is more challenging than it used to be because Facebook eliminated the option for custom landing pages. It can still be done, but there are a few issues with the experience. The email from Belk Department Stores (the first picture in the media player at right) provides a good example.
There are several components that make this a good email for motivating people to cross channels. They are the same items that make all emails more successful at generating a response.
- The email includes a specific call to action with a reward for connecting via Facebook.
- There are multiple opportunities to click and connect via Facebook and other channels.
- The primary promotion is the focus while secondary options are available.
- The offer is time sensitive.
- There are clickable links for shopping categories.
- A web link is available if the email images aren't available.
- Unsubscribe, preferences, and privacy links offer control to the recipient.
- Alternate text for images to encourage people to download images or visit webpage
Three days after sending this email, 16,708 new fans have joined Belk's network and 34,465 coupons were claimed. How could this be if "liking" the brand is required to claim the coupon? Remember the issues mentioned earlier?