Direct Marketing Day @ Your Desk Recap: Mobile Strategy
If you didn’t have the chance to attend Direct Marketing Day @ Your Desk, you missed out. Lucky for you, I wanted to quickly recap my session on creating a successful mobile strategy.
When looking at businesses that are truly successful in mobile, you’ll find everything they do is based off of the Mobile Success Pyramid. This is based off of Bruce Hershey’s "4 Pillars of Mobile Marketing" in that with a pyramid, each section can only be supported by the piece beneath it, making the foundational elements more important.
Let’s look at the pyramid from the bottom up:
At the foundation, you have Strategy.
Strategy is made up of a handful of things:
- Who is your customer? If you haven’t already created customer avatars, you should do so in order to have a target marketing message.
- What are you trying to accomplish? This is where you identify your business objectives and goals and assess your current marketing strategy.
- Why are you in business? What is your mission, unique selling proposition or value proposition?
- When do you need to reach the goal? All good strategies have a time associated with them. Give yourself a deadline to reach your goal and create a roadmap to get there.
As you define your objectives, make sure:
- They are measurable and quantifiable. Example: Increase sales by 15 percent.
- A timeframe is associated to the goal. Example: Increase sales by 15 percent in six months vs. the same six months last year.
- Your goal is realistic. Can you really increase sales by 15 percent? If your goal doesn’t mesh with your historical performance or competition, then adjust.
When you put these three together you may have a goal such as: “Increase sales by 5 percent in six months vs. the same 6-month period last year.”