Consumers Like Direct Mail
For the past several years, direct mail has been bashed for being too old school and past its time. The reality is far from that. Direct mail response is on the rise. Consumers enjoy getting direct mail that is applicable to them. When direct mail is targeted correctly, it will not be considered "junk mail." Yes, even millennials like to get mail.
Here are a few reasons people like to get mail:
- Its delivered to their home through no effort on their part
- It can be fun (get creative and think outside of the box)
- A way to save money (people like a good deal)
- It's informative (people are curious)
- It's easily kept for future reference or use (use a magnet, they can then post on the fridge)
Direct mail statistics you should know (as reported in "From Letterbox to Inbox 2013"):
- 79 percent of consumers say that they act on direct mail immediately
- 56 percent of consumers stated that they found printed marketing to be the "most trustworthy" of all media channels
So what do people do after they get a direct mail piece? ("Consumer study reveals 'direct mail matters' in connected world," July 11, 2013)
- 44 percent visit a brands' website
- 34 percent search online for more information about the product
- 26 percent keep the mailing for future reference
Keeping all of the above in mind, how can you change the way you send direct mail? Are you focused on the consumer and what is in it for them? Do you have a clear call to action and the benefits they get by responding? When you think you do, get someone from outside your organization to critique it for you. You will be surprised with what you can learn.
Using the fact that almost half of the recipients will go online and check you out after getting your direct mail piece, do you have landing pages designed with them in mind? Are you using responsive design so that they can view your website and landing pages on mobile devices? These days, using responsive design is the best way to have your online content look correctly no matter what device is looking at it. Direct mail will drive people to online engagement; make sure you are ready for them.
A blog about Direct Mail Marketing, tips, tricks and what not to do.Summer Gould is President of Eye/Comm Inc. Summer has spent her 27 year career helping clients achieve better marketing results. She has served as a panel speaker for the Association of Marketing Service Providers conferences. She is active in several industry organizations and she is a board member for Printing Industries Association San Diego, as well as a board member for Mailing Systems Management Association of San Diego. You can find her at Eye/Comm Inc’s website: eyecomm.org, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, on LinkedIn, or on Twitter @sumgould.