3 Social Selling Tactics That No Longer Work in Q4
There is no bigger buzz-phrase in sales than “social selling.” But what if the core idea behind it was bogus? What if the term was nonsense? What if there is no revolution in how buyers buy — and how we must now approach selling?
Yes, there has been a big shift — away from following a selling process and toward adapting the pitch to fit the customers' buying process. But so far most sellers are left wasting time on social media.
What We Learned in 2015
If we've learned two things so far we've learned:
- Being seen as a thought-leading expert on social media does not generate leads.
- Simple ideas are not working to address the shift from sales process to buying process.
Being effective in B-to-B sales means being good at one thing: Producing behavior. Capturing a lead that can be nurtured to a sale in the near or future term.
Here's what no longer works. In fact, these never did:
- Sharing valuable content (providing value to prospects) is not working for most sellers.
- Commenting frequently on LinkedIn Group discussions or prospects' LinkedIn status updates is not working for most sellers.
- Staying on the 'digital radar' has limited potential. Being seen by prospects on LinkedIn is tough.
It's time to stop doing what clearly doesn't work. And to stop believing in fairy tales — based on myths marketers have been wasting time with for years.
We don't live in a fundamentally different world. We live in a “sped-up” world where buyers are smarter and move faster. Being seen as a thought-leader is the outcome of a successful strategy. Not the strategy itself.
What Is Generating Leads?
Tactically: A mixture of traditional sales acumen and direct response copywriting.
Strategically: Using social media to adjust the selling approach to the customers' buying process.
The big challenge for B-to-B sellers this fall is realizing “social selling” does not exist. Then, turning this realization into coaching that energizes front line sellers. Coaching that provides a reliable, effective, systematic approach to generating leads on social media platforms.