Patrick Fultz

Pat Friesen is a direct response copywriter, content developer, copy coach and creative strategist. She is also the author of "The Cross-Channel Copywriting Handbook," published by Direct Marketing IQ. Reach her at (913) 341-1211.

Patrick Fultz and I had a virtual standing-room-only crowd for “Design & Copy: Little Things You Don't Want to Overlook” during Direct Marketing Day @ Your Desk on March 10. If you missed it, here are some highlights.

Yep, the devil really is in the details. Which means you should never underestimate the power of the small stuff when it comes to boosting conversions and sales. Even an itty-bitty detail such as a single word, number or typeface can make a huge difference. It's all about writing and designing for response in today's multichannel marketing environment.

I get asked all the time by marketing, account management and business people how I'd come up with that idea, concept or visual. And I usually just say, "It's all about how you see it." And most don't ask any further. Well I've decided to give away the secret.

In the old days just a short two or so years ago, marketers and creatives didn't need to worry about their websites being mobile-friendly. Not that it wouldn't be helpful to have a mobile-friendly site, but there was a low percentage of site visitors accessing websites with their smartphones. At the end of 2014, comScore reported that 66.8% of all mobile subscribers had a smartphones. It also reported combined mobile web and applications account for 60% of time users consume digital media, leaving just 40% for desktop viewing.

Because improved readability leads to more reader engagement, which, in return, generates more response (aka opens, clicks, calls, shares, retweets, leads, orders and dollars), we're doing a follow-up to our recent article on encouraging cross-channel reader engagement. The following do's and don'ts checklist provides tips for increasing readability from both a writer's and a designer's perspective. Feel free to share and let us know what you think. (We love response!)

Okay, so maybe I'm being extreme and making a blanket statement. But we've all seen them: Beautiful sites that really do little to help the client sell its products or services, full of clever or trendy functionality, cool artwork and photos, and an "elegant" design that's often impossible to read.

More Blogs