Are your email open rates what you'd like them to be?
With customers and prospects in a bigger hurry than ever to hit 'Delete,' writing (and approving) email subject lines can be a daunting task. Part-art and part-science, it's akin to writing direct mail outer envelope teaser copy. The mission of both is to get opened. So, everyone wonders which words, offers and even symbols might improve the chances of producing a solid open rate.
Few copywriters know the answers as well as Pat Friesen - an experienced cross-channel copywriter/content developer with a 30-year career that started in cataloging and direct mail. Pat writes for digital and traditional direct response media with her award-winning work recognized by the national DMA and Kansas City Direct Marketing Association. She's also author of The Cross-Channel Copywriting Handbook.
Here are just a few things out of the many that you'll pick up in this fast-paced 45-minute webinar:
- Learn tricks for writing effective subject lines that leave your reader hanging and wanting to know more.
- See examples of how to rouse reader curiosity.
- Discover the power of using subject lines that ask questions.
- Find out how to create click-friendly CTA's (calls to action) using deadlines and other elements of urgency.
- Get the lowdown on offering irresistible benefits customers love and make them feel loved.
- Find out the secret to using relevant personalization and numbers to grab attention.
- Learn about important email subject line trends - including symbol usage, popular keywords and subject line length -from the most complete library of email (and direct mail) in the world, Who's Mailing What!, with findings presented by host and Chief Content Officer Ethan Boldt.
Click here to view this webinar.
It's that time of year to reflect and give thanks. And oh my goodness, I have much to be thankful for. On the personal side, Denny and I are both well and busy. We're just back from a Danube river cruise that brought us both rest and rejuvenation. Denny is excited as his new book "Write Everything Right!" is now in production and will be published by DMIQ in early 2014.
While Black Friday weekend suffered the first spending decline since 2009, Cyber Monday — or the Monday after Thanksgiving — increased nearly 20 percent to a record level, according to ComScore Inc. Clearly, the lure of deeper discounts while steering clear (as in, not being in the car at all) of crazy Black Friday in-store madness is taking Internet shopping to another level ... and marketers are taking advantage.
We tend to view the direct mail industry as a whole, including the myriad trends that we glimpse in the flowing mailstream. But the reality is that each vertical — such as nonprofits or travel — can be rather different is how it's using mail in terms of format type, format size and personalization, for example. Reviewing mailing data from the first six months of 2013 and comparing it to 2012 and 2011 reveals …