In the past year, American cell phone owners became more likely to use the Internet on their phones (51 percent, up from 43 percent in 2011) and capture pictures or videos (67 percent, up from 57 percent). That’s one insight from the 2012 edition of the annual Pew Research Center’s "Global Attitudes Project" survey, which studied how people in 21 countries are using mobile and social media: 86 percent of U.S. adults now own some kind of cell phone … About half of those people use one to access the Internet. Majorities of U.S. smartphone users are regularly looking up consumer
Given the importance of advertising to Facebook’s financial prospects, I’ve pulled together a few predictions from an ad man: A mobile advertising option will be the first order of business. In the weeks leading up to the IPO, Facebook has been questioned on every aspect of its operation and it has identified its weaknesses in mobile, specifically that there is currently no advertising model for its mobile apps. This will be the first major change for a newly public Facebook. Facebook will continue to take a deliberate approach to features and functionality, but with an eye toward the bottom line.
Landing pages are a critical tool for meeting your ever-increasing lead generation goals. Actually, only 8 percent of marketers reported that dedicated landing pages were ineffective, according to MarketingSherpa's 2011 Landing Page Optimization Benchmark Report. I'm not sure what those 8 percent are doing, but the effectiveness of landing pages for the other 92 percent of marketers hinges on one component that isn't often discussed—visitors have to trust you enough to give away their personal information on your landing page forms to obtain your offers. The thing is, we've all been burned too many times by companies that don't …
Not long ago, MySpace was the central destination for online music, the place where fans could connect with seemingly every artist on earth. Since then the site's popularity has plunged. But can anything take over from MySpace as music's online agora?
To hear Google Inc. Chief Executive Larry Page tell it, Google+ has become a robust competitor in the social networking space, with 90 million users registering since its June launch. But those numbers mask what's really going on at Google+. Google+ is a virtual ghost town compared with Facebook. PC users spent an average of about three minutes a month on Google+ between last September and January, versus six to seven hours on Facebook.
Are things looking up for Myspace? First Justin Timberlake invests, and then it announces a TV partnership with Panasonic. Now Myspace is claiming 1 million new users in the last 30 days, which adds up to 40,000 new sign-ups daily.
Few "best of" lists are emboldened to go to the depths required of a Top 100, searching high and low for a well-rounded compilation of individuals who make the largest impressions. We took the bait and compiled our first-ever Top 100 Social Influencers List. Polling various stakeholders in a range of verticals, the decidedly unscientific result is this unique compilation of key social Web players ranging from industry execs and startup entrepreneurs to celebrities and self-branding masterminds.
Facebook Inc., the world’s largest social-networking service, is aiming to file for its initial public offering as early as next week, two people with knowledge of the matter said. The company is discussing a valuation of $75 billion to $100 billion, said two people, who asked not to be identified because the plans haven’t been made public. Timing for the filing is still being discussed and may change, they said.
Facebook, Twitter and Myspace have ganged up on Google's controversial personal search results feature with Focus on the User, an effort to show what Google's search results would be like if it retrieved results from other web services.
24 Marketers Look Into The Future: To get beyond the conventional forecasts, I asked a group of leading marketers across a range of expertise for their most extreme marketing prediction for 2012. Their responses are a quick roundup that could be conveyed on a smartphone. Here are 24 extreme marketing forecasts that take a look inside the minds of some marketing leaders. Social networks will not become the dominant messaging platform, but they will drive more email use.