When Entrepreneurs Foul Their Nests
- Unlike a painter, whose name is on every work that is produced, a business person can operate in relative anonymity, so long as his or her name is not the name of the business.
- The real question for a person starting a business: Do you name it after the founder or give it a generic name? When Martha Stewart went to jail, it was not a happy time for the thousands of people whose lives depended upon her success or failure.
- This means that people with their names on a business--such as Oprah Winfrey and Michael Bloomberg--must be far more circumspect in their behavior than the rest of us.
- When Peggy and I started the newsletter, WHO'S MAILING WHAT!, we absolutely did not want our names on it. From the outset it was an institution--its own person with its own identity.
- If you sell a business with your name on it and the new owners are crooks, their misdeeds can follow you to your grave.
Web Sites Related to Today's Edition
The Official Thomas Kinkade Web Site
Become a Kinkade Dealer
Dali Art for Sale