Welcome Emails More Likely to Drive Transactions Than Bulk Mailings
Welcome emails have transaction rates nine times higher than bulk mailings, according to a recently published report from Experian CheetahMail.
Experian CheetahMail’s Strategic Services Group analyzed the performance and content details of welcome emails compared with mass promotions deployed by the same businesses from May 2009 to April 2010.
Key findings include the following:
- Revenue per email and transaction rates are nine times higher for welcome emails than for bulk mailings.
- Welcome emails generate four times the total open rates and five times the clickthrough rates compared with other bulk promotions.
- Real-time welcome messages sent as triggered emails have significantly higher open, clickthrough and transaction rates than bulk recurrent (e.g., daily, weekly, monthly) campaigns.
- Real-time welcome emails with offers generate more than double the transaction rates and revenue per email vs. real-time welcome emails with no offers.
- Welcome emails with free shipping offers have the highest transaction rates. Other than free shipping, “15 percent off” had the highest revenue per email for both real-time and bulk welcome emails.
- On average, welcome emails with links to social media sites have 6 percent higher clickthrough rates than welcome emails without those links.
The report also provides welcome email best practices for marketers, which include the following:
- make the connection to subscribers clear by dynamically mentioning the source of acquisition, particularly if there's a delay between sign-up and the first email;
- add a link to a preference center; and
- consider deploying a real-time version of welcome email messages.