"You've got ... " Got what? Mail. Email, actually. But maybe only a few words at a time. The recent uptick in popularity of wearable devices—and particularly the announcement and news about the Apple Watch—mean that email will be coming to an entirely new type of devices. With reduced screen sizes, email marketing stands to face sizeable shakeups, as well. A recent blog post from the ever-sage Email Monks has a great breakdown of the coming sea change.
One of the most helpful things in the post is a table, featuring information about how many characters will be viewable in both the subject line and message when opened on various popular smartwatches. For example, the Apple Watch (which stands to be the most embraced device when it will launch next month), will only display 12 to 20 characters of a subject line, and 25 to 30 characters while a message is opened on the device. By far the most accommodating device is the Samsung Gear S, which will allow users to see between 55 and 80 characters of a message on the screen at a time.
The wise Monks also included four tips for optimizing your email marketing for smartwatches and other wearables:
- The most important content must go higher up in the email
- Focus on the first few words of your email subject lines
- Make sure to include a pre-header summary
- Minimalistic email design would be more ideal for smart watches
- Include only the content that you think would appeal to your recipients