Using Voice-of-the-Customer Relationship Marketing to Drive Sales
Voice-of-the-Customer relationship marketing is a proven, five-step process for implementing powerful, socially responsible marketing that achieves consistent double-digit increases in response and revenue. It has been battle-tested by marketing leaders such as Microsoft, NBC Universal and IBM, and growth companies such as HMS National and Songza Media. The following are tips for each of the five steps drawn from the DMA2010 preconference intensive workshop "Five Relationship Marketing Best Practices," to be held Oct. 9-10 in San Francisco.
STEP 1: How to Use Voice-of-the-Customer Research to Drive Your Relationship Strategies
Voice-of-the-Customer Relationship Research (VOC) is specialized-depth research to understand customer/prospect needs, decision making processes and expectations of the optimal experience via web, social media/community, email, offline media, and customer service call centers. These insights enable development of customer driven relationship marketing strategies and action plans.
- Generate an in-depth understanding of the value customers expect from your company throughout the major points in their life cycle of experience with your company.
- Identify gaps between the customers’ brand expectations and their actual experiences with your organization.
- Understand how to establish and maintain relevance across your multiple channels and points of contact.
- Determine the effectiveness of your media mix. Are customers getting too many communications, and with not enough relevance?
- Identify how you can better personalize the customer experience, whether online, in person or over the phone.
STEP 2: Create VOC-Driven Opt-In Relationship Strategies
Opt-in engagement is a VOC-driven process for engaging customers and prospects to opt-in and self-profile their preferences to create accurate opt-in databases. It's about getting customers to take an active role in defining the relationship—per their needs. This enables you to understand how you can be relevant to them at an individual level: The right message and the right offer sent to the right people at the right time via their medium of choice. This information will form a powerful and accurate opt-in preference database.