Top 5 E-mail Marketing Trends to Watch
As part of a recent report, e-mail marketing solutions provider StrongMail Systems offered the "Top 5 Trends to Watch," showcasing key trends across each of several best-of-breed e-mails. These trends include the following:
1. User-generated content. For the report, a panel of judges reviewed best-of-breed e-mails from Continental Airlines, The Home Depot, People, Visa and Wetpaint. From these, the report found that two of them used user-generated content. The report also predicted a continued adoption of UGC throughout 2009.
2. Forward to a friend meets social media. This feature is a great fit for the appropriate audience and content, according to the report. Two of the five winners used this functionality to help fans spread the word about their favorite topics. The viral nature of e-mail will continue to be embraced by e-mail marketers this year, according to the report.
3. Integrating Web site navigation. Not all recipients are interested in your primary offer, but many still want to engage with your brand. Four of the five best-of-breed e-mails included some form of Web site navigation in their e-mails to make it easy for recipients to access the information most relevant to them, according to the report.
4. Focused, clear, compelling messages. All five winners featured a central and clear and compelling message to entice the recipient to click through, according to the report.
5. CAN-SPAM compliant footers. The CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 requires all companies to include a footer that contains the company’s mailing address and an unsubscribe mechanism. All five winners had clear CAN-SPAM compliant footers with simple, easy-to-use unsubscribe functionality, according to the report.