One-Third of Consumer Catalog Email Offers Include Free Shipping
Consumer catalogs and retail traffic builders use “free shipping” offers in their emails more than other industries. In fact, no category is even close when it comes to volume. This is according to the emails received by Who’s Mailing What! from May 2014 through April 2015.
Nearly all of the top 10 categories are either catalogs or retail-focused. The only outlier is special interest magazines, which sits in sixth place in terms of volume of email offers with free shipping.
The story becomes clearer when you examine what percentage of total category emails include a free shipping offer as opposed to just looking at volume. In the case of special interest magazines, for example, only 6.2 percent of these emails include a free shipping offer. These are mostly ancillary offers from the magazine’s parent company.
The top 10 categories, based on volume of free shipping offers received from May 2014 to April 2015, are as follows:
- Consumer Catalogs: 60,785 total offers, 20,187 (33.2 percent) offering free shipping
- Retail Traffic Builders: 32,359 total offers, 14,357 (44.4 percent) offering free shipping
- Food & Kitchenware Catalogs: 7,828 total offers, 3,342 (42.7 percent) offering free shipping
- Men’s/Women’s Fashions: 4,248 total offers, 2,434 (57.3 percent) offering free shipping
- Children/Teen Catalogs: 7,498 total offers, 2,250 emails (30 percent) offering free shipping
- Special Interest Magazines: 23,511 total offers, 1,455 emails (6.2 percent) offering free shipping
- Women’s Fashions: 2,661 total offers, 1,383 emails (51.9 percent) offering free shipping
- Business Catalogs: 4,165 total offers, 1,003 emails (24.1 percent) offering free shipping
- Shoes: 1,917 total offers, 985 emails (51.38 percent) offering free shipping
- Cosmetics/Grooming: 1,920 total offers, 968 emails (50.4 percent) offering free shipping
For more trends, best practices and examples of effective emails, check out the Email Marketing 2015 report now available in the Direct Marketing IQ Bookstore.
To request a free Who's Mailing What! demo, go to www.whosmailingwhat.com/demo.
Cheryl Cagle is database/affiliates director for Direct Marketing IQ, the home of direct marketing research, and Who's Mailing What!, the most complete library of direct mail and email. Cheryl can be reached at email@example.com.
Related story: When Should You Send Email?