The Self-mailer Challenge
4. The USPS approval is to be retained in the job jacket along with all other important proofs.
5. THG verifies that everything on a BRC, including the P.O. Box, Permit No., barcode and ZIP +4, are correct so the returned postage-paid cards are processed at the postcard rate (23 cents for postage, not including fees) and not letter rate (37 cents for postage, not including fees).
Quality Control Issues for Self-mailers
• Is the laser copy going to be at least 2˝ above/below a perforation?
• Do the variable sentences have enough space to laser longer-than-usual names?
• Is the business or courtesy reply automation compatible?
• Do you have the correct ZIP+4 for the response type?
• Does the reply device have enough room to laser longer-than-usual names?
• Does the reply device backup correctly in the layout?
• Are the perforations clearly called out on the artwork?
• Remember: Folded self-mailers can't be mailed into Canada through the USPS; remove all records mailed into Canada.
Gayl Curtiss is the general manager of and Paul Ford is a senior writer for The Hacker Group, a subsidiary of FCB Worldwide LLC, located in Bellevue, Wash., a suburb of Seattle.