Telling a Creative Story
You’ve got less than one second to get readers hooked by your creative story. That is what the average consumer’s attention span is in today’s marketing world.
Think of it: Multiple screens, social media distractions, email, phone calls, OTT streaming content, instant search results … If your message is not delivering in that short amount of time, you’ve lost your chance.
Challenges, indeed, but not without a remedy. Take another look at your creative. It must impact your audience before they even know it, because in the blink of an eye, they’re looking somewhere else. Today’s marketing creative team needs to know how to drive prominence for the products and premiums out front, enticing the target audience to become a buyer.
In developing market tested creative, be sure to employ copywriting, graphic design and multi-device best practices that are proven to enhance response. Here are several creative must do’s:
- Use the collective internal market experience you already have in house and include all market age groups.
- Employ direct-to-consumer best practices, like clear and conspicuous copy, as well as terms and conditions that plainly describe the offer and the consumer commitment.
- Be ready to deliver fast turnaround on results. Speed to market today is an absolute imperative.
- Test and optimize all creative elements of the sales funnel.
- Use split and multi-variant testing to confirm performance in market.
Creative that sells results from the experience from all channels. Creative that works is creative that is informed by the ever-changing consumer purchase behavior.
Ready. Set. Go.
A version of this article originally appeared in Postings, the member newsletter of the Direct Marketing Club of New York.