The more targeted your audience, the easier it is to write a subject line that makes an immediate connection.
- HP Instant Ink users love this
- To the road warrior who hates to travel.
- Important news for [__________] owners
Tell your reader what to do.
- Take a closer look at your cat's litter box
- Stop using so much printer ink.
- Subscribe to [__________], save [$0.00] instantly
If you're game for testing this, just make sure your email delivers content worthy of the subject line.
- Do not open this email
- Are you part of 75.9% who will miss the secret savings inside?
- No need to open this if you're 100% happy with your [_________]
Kickstart your subject line with a powerful verb.
- Explore the sizzling city of Rio
- Slash the cost of your next vacation
- Download the Perfect Blog Post Template
If you can't use true personalization (name, order number, product purchased, location), use you or your to make it sound like you are directly addressing your reader.
- Let us know what you think.
- You just made the [__________] A-list
- Your weekly progress report from [__________]
Sensible people love lists.
- 5 reasons why you should [_________]
- 3 reasons why [__________] made this switch
- Why acronyms make terrible names
Bloggers still write about the 2012 political fundraising subject line "Hey." Here's another from the same source: "dinner?" The real power of both these words came from the FROM line: Barack Obama. Here are a few other one word subject lines I've seen in my own inbox (and not from Barack Obama.)
No Subject Line
Yep, you read that right. Why agonize over writing a subject line when you can leave it blank? After analyzing more than 6 million emails, HubSpot's Sidekick found messages with the subject line left blank were opened 8 percent more often than those with subject lines. (Tip: Do a A/B pre-test before rolling out. Also keep in mind if everyone does this, the impact will be minimized dramatically.)
One more thing. No matter what's trending, authenticity is key. Don't promise something your email doesn't deliver. While subject lines may be initially measured by open rates, it’s back-end conversions that ultimately matter. Disappointment does not breed conversion.
P.S. Look for ways to achieve the perfect pairing between your FROM and SUBJECT lines. Readers typically use both FROM and SUBJECT lines to screen inbox contents.