SEO: Still Haven't Found What You're Looking For?
Would U2 still be able to write its 1987 hit song, “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For,” in today’s day and age? The jam might be more relevant than you’d think. Twenty-eight years later, after the advent of Google, people are still having a hard time connecting to the content they’re in search of.
A recent piece of research from Blue Nile, “Psychology of the Searcher: Patterns in How Searchers Formulate Queries," posits that the commonly held keyword approach has left marketers looking at things cockeyed from the outset.
When looking at searches as a whole, there’s a startlingly even 50-50 split between those who search in whole sentences (four-plus words) and searchers who use fragments (two to three words). Additionally, 27 percent of searchers are using full questions, while the other 73 percent do not.
All of this information can go toward helping to better understand searcher intent instead of just relying on a handful of keywords — and hopefully catch some of the more long-tail searchers who often still haven’t found what they’re looking for.