Starbucks’ Sad-Sack Marketers
- I did what Dottie Kerr suggested and launched the Who's Mailing What! newsletter and archive service.
- This extraordinary repository is now 31 years old.
If Starbucks Consulted Who's Mailing What!
The pioneer of monthly coffee delivery by mail was Gevalia, a Swedish company with the good sense to use the Wunderman Agency for years.
Who's Mailing What! contains 193 mailings for Gevalia.
Of those, 142 used a premium — a goodie up front.
Included are four "Grand Controls" — four efforts mailed for three consecutive years meaning they were hugely successful and brought in pots of money.
- Free stainless steel programmable coffee maker — yours to keep just for trying Gevalia.
- Take 2 trial half-pound packages of Gevalia for $10.
- A $99 value for $10.
- No further obligation.
- Cancel any time and keep the coffee maker.
- Cost of coffee: $5.55 to $7.45.
Takeaways to Consider
- Who's Mailing What! contains information on more than 200,000 print and electronic mailings. Most are available as PDFs and downloadable in seconds.
- Who's Mailing What! contains information and PDF samples of more than 1,500 "Grand Controls" — mailings in nearly 300 categories that have been mailed and received for 3 consecutive years or more.
- These "Grand Controls are 24 karat marketing gold — the result of literally billions of dollars in testing.
- Today's hotshot kids sneer at direct mail as being something out of the last century created by fuddy-duddies.
- WHO'S MAILING WHAT! HAS NEVER BEEN ABOUT DIRECT MAIL! Instead it's all about:
- Unique Selling Propositions (USPs)
- In short, Who's Mailing What! shows you what promotions bring in responses, orders and donations in consumer, business and nonprofit marketing efforts.
- Online, in print and in the mail.
- Who's Mailing What! can do two things for you: 1) Make you rich and 2) Keep you from screwing up and losing money. Check it out!
- Try it for a month. It can change your business (for the better)!
- "God protect us from amateurs!" —Henry Castor
Denny Hatch's new book is WRITE EVERYTHING RIGHT!