Production and Paper Special Report: Cycling Through Your Options
Marketers can identify paper companies that are likely to offer a variety of recycled papers if they look for those that operate “integrated” mills, which can process both virgin and recycled content. Stora Enso’s Cummins asserts that operating an integrated mill in Duluth, Minn., enables the company to save money in comparison to mills that have to buy recycled pulp from outside suppliers.
If direct marketers want to be considered eco-friendly, they should not only print on recycled paper, but also print only on paper acquired through sustainable practices.
“It’s not just a question of are you using 10 percent recycled material, but where does the other 90 percent (of the paper) come from,” says Schiavone.
Paper suppliers need to be asked about the chain of custody of the pulp they’re selling, adds Cummins. “Where was the tree grown, where did it go for the pulping and manufacturing process, and is it third-party certified,” are questions marketers need to ask their suppliers, he says.
Paper buyers can look for Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certification, which verifies that paper was not harvested from an endangered forest and that the paper manufacturer, merchant and printer all followed FSC-approved practices.
John Gartner is a Portland, Ore.-based freelance writer and consultant.