Social Media Adoption by U.S. Small Businesses Doubles Since 2009
Social media adoption by small businesses has doubled from 12 percent to 24 percent in the last year, according to the third wave of the Small Business Success Index, an index sponsored by Network Solutions and the Center for Excellence in Service at the University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business.
Small businesses are also increasingly investing in social media applications including blogs, Facebook and LinkedIn profiles, according to the index. Additional social media usage highlights from the index include the following:
- 75 percent of small business owners surveyed have company pages on social networking sites;
- 61 percent use social media for identifying and attracting new customers;
- 57 percent have built networks through sites like LinkedIn;
- 45 percent expect social media to be profitable in the next 12 months;
- 50 percent said social media programs take more time than expected; and
- 17 percent said social media gives people a chance to criticize their businesses online, but only 6 percent feel that social media has hurt their companies' images more than helped them.