Shipping Costs Impact Purchase Decisions, Customer Satisfaction
Shipping costs weigh heavily on consumers’ decisions to purchase products online and also impact consumer satisfaction, according to a recently published Compete Online Shopper Survey.
- 93 percent of respondents indicated that free shipping on orders would encourage them to purchase more products online.
- Two out of three shoppers said they would buy more online if returns were free.
- When asked about their most recent shopping experiences, overall customer satisfaction was 10 percentage points lower for those who paid for shipping compared to those who had free shipping.
- 67 percent of online researchers said they purchase items in a store instead of online to avoid shipping costs.
- 65 percent of respondents indicated they choose the "in-store pickup" option, when available, for the same reason.