As equity crowdfunding platforms like Kickstarter become more commonplace, firms are gaining an increasing ability to reach out to potential stakeholders. As one of the many goals of a start-up is to add as much value to stakeholders as possible, it is essential that you are able to convey the mission, message and importance of your company in an efficient and captivating way; that is, video. In this article, we will discuss some tips you can use to optimize your video advertisements.
When it comes to video advertisements, there are many different methodologies depending on the length, content and audience you are trying to reach. In general, however, here are some tips to help your startup craft an effective video ad.
- Make Your Videos Short and Sweet. According to YouTube, viewer rates of video ads drop off significantly after 45 seconds. Therefore, YouTube recommends neatly fitting the essentials into the 45-second window.
- Call to Action. Make sure your video provides the next steps for viewers while they still have your product in mind; be it visiting your website or making a purchase. Also, provide viewers with any necessary links — make the conversion as easy as possible.
- Know Your Analytics. YouTube, Facebook and Google each offer comprehensive ad analytics. Make sure to utilize these functions to optimize not only the content of your ads, but the target audience, view times and conversion rates.
- Find Your Message and Commit. It can be easy to try to say too much about your start-up. Know exactly which vibe and message you’re going for, make sure your video promotes that message with consistency, and don’t try to pack too much in at once.
- Integrate Music. Music in advertisements does more than just set the tone, consistency and pace of the ad; it creates what experts call “brand association.” Studies suggest that ads with musical accompaniment garner “significantly higher” emotional reactions than identical, non-musical ads. Music allows the advertiser to evoke memories, entertain and target highly specific audiences.
- Integrate With Social Media. Statistics show that Facebook's video views have increased drastically since 2013. In fact, in August 2014, Facebook video viewership surpassed YouTube video viewership with 12.3 billion monthly views and 11.3 billion monthly views, respectively. When considering this drastically increasing video viewership on social media in conjunction with rapidly growing social media usage, video advertising through social media platforms emerges as an excellent way to capture a huge audience and rack up viewership.
Video advertising also has an unexpected benefit in the form of consumer data and analytics. By having your start-up’s video available for public viewing on sites such as Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc., viewers can comment and evaluate the video by way of features such as the like button, the comments section and sharing. This means that you can get instant, real-time feedback from consumers and a deeper level of interaction that simply don't exist with many mass and print advertisements.