Remarketing Rated Most Underutilized Technology
Remarketing, or a form of online targeted advertising where ads are delivered to consumers based on previous internet actions that didn't result in conversions, is the most underutilized online marketing technology.
This was a key finding from a recent joint survey of online marketing professionals by Advertise.com, a search and display advertising platform provider, and SEMPO, the Search Engine Marketing Professional Organization.
The survey, which was conducted in August, found that 46.3 percent of respondents believe remarketing — also known as retargeting — is the online marketing technology that's most underutilized. Other online marketing technologies respondents said are underutilized include the following:
- geotargeting (18.3 percent);
- traffic source optimization (15.9 percent);
- keyword targeting (13.4 percent); and
- category targeting (2.4 percent).
When asked whether they presently use display remarketing in their online advertising or have in the past, 69.5 percent of respondents said no. For the 30.5 percent of respondents who answered yes, 53.1 percent further responded that display retargeting made their advertising more impactful.
Other survey highlights include the following:
- 81.7 percent of participants implement local search advertising campaigns online;
- 70.7 percent of respondents ranked search as the form of online advertising that provides the best ROI, followed by cost per action (CPA) (14.6 percent), email (6.1 percent) and social media (3.7 percent);
- 52.4 percent of survey participants use CPA in their online advertising strategies to drive sales leads, 13.4 percent do so to drive traffic to a website and 6.1 percent to drive brand awareness; and
- 26.8 percent of respondents said they don't use CPA as an online advertising strategy.