Q3 E-mail Performance Remains Stable
Measured by deliverability, open and clickthrough rates, e-mail performance was steady in the third quarter of 2008, according to a quarterly e-mail trends and benchmarking report from marketing services firm Epsilon.
The report compiled aggregate data from the more than 6.2 billion e-mails Epsilon sent this past July, August and September. The e-mails were generated by more than 200 Epsilon clients from various industries. The analysis combined data from both of Epsilon's proprietary platforms, DREAM and DREAMmail.
Survey highlights include:
- open rates remained consistent over the past year, ranging from 19 percent to 21 percent;
- clickthrough rates rose 27.6 percent over the second quarter of 2008;
- average volume per client increased 13 percent over the second quarter;
- the business publishing/media, consumer publishing/media, retail, general and travel services categories all saw increases over the second quarter in the three major metrics — deliverability, opens and clickthroughs; and
- e-mail drove an average of $0.14 in revenue per e-mail delivered.
Epsilon's Q3 2008 Email Trends and Benchmark report can be viewed in its entirety at www.epsilon.com/Q3emailbenchmarks.