Opt In Spam Out
• Tight integration between a company's e-mail and traditional campaigns. This strengthens brand and overall campaign effectiveness.
The success of e-mail marketing is not just about getting permission; it's also about learning from the dialogue—or lack of it. Timely analysis of campaign performance enables firms to adjust messages and volumes. Implementing and analyzing a "corporate memory" of campaign performance makes the difference between lumbering blindly between messages and getting the insights you need to succeed. Analyze intelligently as you build competitive advantage for your firm.
Sending and tracking truly personalized e-mails in a timely manner can be a daunting task without the appropriate technology. Companies that try to deliver a personal experience using general purpose Web authoring or programming languages are courting expensive and complex programming and system administration. Fortunately, today's software technology can mask this complexity from the marketer, ensuring not only faster implementation of your campaigns, but also dramatically lower maintenance and administrative costs.
Privacy and Preparation
When properly executed, a permission-based e-mail campaign is very cost-effective, resulting in a significantly greater return on investment and stronger, more personal customer relationships. No system is perfect, however, and companies must keep the following in mind:
• Privacy is king. If you don't have permission, don't mail it.
• Permission is a precious asset. Don't waste it on messages that fail the personal and relevant test.
• Prepare for success. Make sure your processes for dealing with responses are identified prior to campaign launch. Like the messages themselves, these processes need to be personalized.
• Test and track everything. This provides the necessary foundation for determining the success or failure of future campaigns.
• Implement and leverage "corporate memory." Proper analysis is the key to tuning your marketing initiatives.
What began as a quick and easy method of communication has rapidly become a powerful marketing tool. According to IMT Strategies, permission-based e-mail marketing can be 10 times more efficient than direct mail, 20 times more effective than banner advertising and cost significantly less than either to deliver. With the ability to tailor content, personalized e-mail will very likely remain one of the most efficient, popular and cost-effective marketing tools used to connect with customers.