Q3 2010 North America Email Trend Results: Bounce, Open and Click Rates Drive Strong Results
Email open rates in the third quarter of 2010 have remained steady for two years, finishing the quarter at 22 percent, according to the Q3 2010 Email Trends and Benchmark report from Epsilon and the Direct Marketing Association’s Email Experience Council. Six of the 13 reported industries saw an increase in open rates over Q3 2009, the report found.
The quarterly analysis was compiled from 5.4 billion emails sent by Epsilon in July, August and September, across multiple industries and approximately 150 participating clients. The analysis combines data from both of Epsilon’s proprietary platforms, DREAM and DREAMmail.
Other findings from the report include the the following:
- the average clickthrough rate was 5.4 percent, up from the previous quarter (5.2 percent);
- the average volume per client increased 10.2 percent versus Q3 2009;
- 63.1 percent of the emails delivered were categorized as "marketing" messages;
- messages categorized as "service" had the highest open rates (37.3 percent); and
- messages categorized as "editorial" had the highest clickthrough rates (7.4 percent).