How Not to Generate Leads
* At the end of these dream sequences was the URL, www.mydream.tv —a YouTube-like exercise in warm fuzzies where you could see these heart-warming stories in motion. If the prospect does indeed go to this URL and gets involved with these dream story videos, Lincoln has lost the lead.
*The brochure was filled with beauty shots of exteriors and interiors of several new Lincoln models with descriptions in 7-point sans serif type—much of it reversed-out against dark and busy backgrounds making it utterly unreadable—describing the myriad features of the various models in techie Lincoln engineering jargon.
* The letter—on the left side of 9 1⁄2˝ x 15˝ addressing card—was in 7-point sans serif type and started with a self-laudatory lecture:
Dear Denison Hatch,
Recently, the level of sophistication and craftsmanship in every type of vehicle has surged upwards. The luxury market, perhaps more than any other, leads the charge. So to stay ahead of raised expectations, Lincoln has raised the bar.
* A line on the reply device stopped me cold with its marketing MBA jargon:
2. We would like to provide you with the appropriate incentive information.
How do you plan to obtain your next vehicle? __ Purchase __Lease
The Secrets of Successful Lead Generation
In my opinion, the most knowledgeable person on the planet about generating leads is Seattle guru Bob Hacker, founder of the Hacker Group.
What follows is some of Hacker’s business common sense on how to generate leads from Don Jackson’s and my “2,239 Tested Secrets for Direct Marketing Success.”
* In lead generation, the more you tell, the less you sell.
Copy platforms should focus on generating a lead, not closing the sale. When you say too much, you often create reasons not to respond. The goal at each step of a multi-step sale is to get to the next step. When you try to skip a step, you break the sales chain and scare away qualified buyers. Tease the prospect into wanting to know more. Be strong on emotional benefits—leave the features and advantages to the sales rep.