Message & Media: Marketers, Ask Yourself: Are You a Real Direct Marketer?
• Real direct marketers understand the difference between features and benefits. They understand successful messaging answers the customer's all important question, "What's in it for me?" Benefits seal the deal.
• Real direct marketers know direct marketing isn't something you do once a year or once a quarter. It's the heart of how you do business.
• Real direct marketers take customer-generated test results over focus group findings any day of the week.
• Real direct marketers understand the offer is more than just free shipping. They understand it's everything you are willing to give in exchange for response to push people over the edge of indecision.
• Real direct marketers have a natural curiosity about what works and what doesn't. And they eagerly learn from both.
• To a real direct marketer, a postcard isn't just a rectangular piece of cardstock. It's a tactile mini- billboard that's an immediate read and, once in-hand, has the recipient's undivided attention.
• Real direct marketers don't stop mailing catalogs unless they are 99.99 percent positive catalogs are no longer responsible for driving online, phone or in-store sales.
You get the idea. Direct marketing is more than direct mail. Paper and postal rate increases won't kill it, because it cuts across all media and because it's accountable. CFOs love it as much as CMOs.
When you're a real direct marketer, you know how much money you make for every marketing and advertising dollar you invest. You know what works and what doesn't. In the best of times and the worst of times, you have a competitive edge. And that now matters more than ever before.