Many Email Marketers Aren't Testing Their Campaigns
Why not? Among the respondents who don't test, 33 percent said it’s because they don't know how. Other reasons cited include not having enough time to do it right (27.4 percent) and not having software that provides testing functionality (13.4 percent).
Those that are testing check a wide variety of variables, including design, frequency, calls to action and day/time sent.
The survey's breakdown for email content testing includes the following:
- 85.2 percent test subject lines;
- 54.8 percent test calls to action;
- 50.9 percent test designs;
- 49.1 percent test copy;
- 41.7 percent test offers; and
- 36.8 percent test timing of campaigns.
A/B versus multivariate testing
There are two ways to test — one variable at a time or multiple variables at once.
Forty-three percent of the respondents who do test said they always test one variable at a time, known as a single variable test — the most common of which is referred to as an A/B split test. Of those who test, 13 percent said they always do so with multiple variables at once, known as a multivariate test. Almost 43 percent said they use both types of testing, depending on the campaign.
Most marketers test on less than 10 percent of their lists and then send the winning campaign to the remaining 90 percent.